Friday, May 3, 2019

The Past Perfect Simple / Continuous






لتحميل لائحة ال 100 فعل + تمرين خاص بالدرس اضغط هنا

 

During the lesson we will try to answer three questions :
 I ) How we form the Past Perfect Simple and The Past Perfect Continuous ?   II) What is the purpose behind using the Past Perfect ?
     III)What is the difference between the Past Perfect Simple and the Past Perfect Continuous ?

                    .......................................................................................................................

I* The Past Perfect Simple:
     Subject + had + Verb in the Past Participle

Ex : I had studied ...............................................

P.s : There are two kinds of verbs Regular and Irregular. To change a Regular verb into the Simple Past or The Past Participle we add simply "ed".
Ex: to ask => asked => asked
If it is an Irregular verb we have to change its form.
Ex: to go => went => gone
 
To download these verbs click Here
 
*The Past Perfect Continuous:
            Subject + had + been + Verb'ing'
 
Ex : I had been playing ....................................................
 
II* We use The Past Perfect to talk about an action which had happened before an other action happened. To mention the other other action we use the Simple Past. All of which will make the first clause in which we used The Past Perfect as The First Action and the other clause in which we used The Simple Past as The Second Action.
 
 Ex : I had brushed my teeth before I went to bed.
 
Note:
There are some expressions which can help us know where the first and the second actions are: before - after - just - already... etc
Examples : - I went out to see a friend after I had finished my homework.
                        - The movie had just started when I arrived to the cinema.
 

III* We use The Past Perfect Simple to talk about an action which had alredy finished before the Simple Past.
Ex : The train had left when Amine arrived to the station.( When Amine arrived to the station the train had already gone and left)
 
We use The Past Perfect Continuous :
 1) To talk about an action which had been happening before it was interrupted by a second action.
Ex : Ahmed had been living in the U.S.A before he moved to Morocco.

2) To talk about a cause and an effect:
Ex : I had been playing on Xbox for 3 hours. So, I became exhausted.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Passive Voice

 لتحميل التمرين اضغط  هنا  . أو المبني للمجهول  " The Passive Voice"  في هذا الدرس إن شاء الله سنعرف ما هو    .مع ذ...